Saturday, October 8, 2011

Sweet Saturday Samples - Oct 8

 


Title: I.O.U. SEX
Genre: Women’s Fiction / Romance
Rating:
This Excerpt – G
Novel – R (Sex between consenting adults and some mild profanity)

Peggy, one of our characters from I.O.U. Sex who has decided to search for her old high school boyfriend, eats when she’s happy, when she’s sad, and when she’s bored—in other words, she’s an emotional eater. In this scene, she’s munching absentmindedly on foods that would make her doctor shudder.
       Peggy sat on the patio by the pool eating Krispie Kreme doughnuts and drinking a Coke, wondering what Kiki and June were up to. She hadn’t heard a peep out of either woman since their lunch, and she was dying to hear the latest in their boyfriend saga. These days, their lives rivaled As the World Turns for drama, and she hated to miss a single episode.
       Since their last conversation, Peg had attempted to find where Mark was living without any success. She’d tried Kiki’s approach and done a computer search, typing “Mark William Smith” in the Google search box. When she hit “enter,” millions of hits popped up. Overwhelmed, she clicked on the big “X” and turned off the confounded machine. Given her computer ineptitude, she knew she’d probably done it wrong somehow. With only Mark’s name to go on, finding him on the Internet would be like searching for a needle in a haystack the size of Texas.
       The solution came one sleepless night when Peggy turned on the TV and saw a Rockford Files rerun.
       “Why didn’t I think of hiring a professional before?” She said the words out loud to the empty room.
       She wondered how much an investigation would cost, and what she would tell the detective. Peggy laughed, imagining herself explaining Kiki’s crazy idea of payback sex to a complete stranger. The guy would probably fall off his chair laughing at the idea that a fat broad like her even had such fantasies, much less intended to act on them.

Will Peg ever get a grip on her unhealthy eating habits? Or is she fixin’ to wake up when life comes knockin’ on her door?

For more Sweet Saturday Samples, click on this link: Sweet Saturday Samples

9 comments:

  1. I remember the Rockford Files, lol! Great sample.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sample, and yes, I remember the Rockfor Files too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer & Sherry: Glad you remembered the Rockford Files. It's still on TV in late night reruns, believe it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also remember The Rockford Files. Love how you were able to bring it into the story to help solve her problem

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no idea what The Rockford Files are, lol, but I love your sample :) I'll have to Google the show to see what it's about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never watched the Rockford files, though I love James Garner. I never can tell which of your heroines I like best. I certainly sympathize with Peggy--I've been guilty of unhealthy eating myself a time or two. LOL Hope she finds her way to better ways!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think things might become complicated once she hires the PI. Wonder if he'll be cute? Can't wait to see what happens next!
    Thanks for stopping by my site today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mirriamsmyth: I guess we're revealing our age with the Rockford Files reference!
    Jenna: I love James Garner, too -- everything from those black-and-white "Maverick" episodes to "The Notebook."
    Diannehartsock: I'm laughing. This particular P.I. is described as resembling McGruff, the Crime Fighting Dog. No romance there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maverick! All those wonderful Warner Bros. Westerns of yesteryear! Memories from my childhood.

    It's neat how you slipped Rockford Files into the scene so we have a firm idea of how old Peg is. Well, those of us who KNOW the Rockford Files will relate and figure it out. Hahahaha!

    Nice work!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.