Wednesday, March 23, 2011

FOR THE YOUNG & YOUNG AT HEART




If you are a female under the age of forty, when you read I.O.U. Sex you will be looking into what it was like when your mom was a teenager and young woman. The world was radically different back then. Throughout our book you will see glimpses of those times. For Baby Boomers like us, it is a reminder of what we lived through, and for young people, it is a portal to view the past.




Having said this, I thought perhaps you might like to see some photos of the authors during this time period. My photo is on the left, and Sandy Ruth's is on the right. Try not to laugh at our puffy hairdos!


These photos were taken around 1964-1965, and I am sure Sandy and I spent a lot of time preparing for our photo sessions. For example, we probably washed our hair the night before. Then we would have used lots of hair gel and rolled it up on juice-can-size brush rollers which we secured with pins, picks, and clips. Over that went a decorative hairnet to hold it all in place.
Then we sat under a hooded portable hair dryer that blew up like a gigantic balloon, or we went to bed with a wet head. Either way, we had small brushes poking into our scalps all night long.

Yikes! How did we ever manage to suffer through such torture in the name of beauty? In that respect, the times have sure changed for the better with blow dryers and curling irons! Oh, and did I mention the ratting and spraying? We did that too.

Now move your thinking forward about forty-seven years. In the photo at the top of this post you will see Sandy and I having a classic Edwardian Afternoon Tea at The Empress Hotel in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. I think we've aged pretty darn well for two old broads!

Our friendship began in the 8th grade in 1960 and has endured for over fifty years. OMG! Has it really been that long? How is that possible? Now that I think about it, I still feel like that girl with the puffy hair. In spite of the years and the life experiences and the memories, I still feel about eighteen in my head and in my heart. Don't you?

~ Miss Pickles (alias Sandra)





No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.