Thursday, March 10, 2011

WATER AEROBICS

Anyone who thinks water aerobics is for wimps has never taken a class. Last week I spent an evening at a nearby medical center fitness facility with my daughter-in-law. She's expecting our first grandchild in late April (a girl), and the class is designed specifically for expectant mothers. I thought it would be easy. Ha! My DIL left me in the dust (er, well, you know what I mean!)

The instructor had us walk around the perimeter of the pool once, then go  around again -  backwards. That's harder than it sounds. We used Styrofoam weights and "noodles" against the resistance of the water, pushing and pulling until my biceps quivered with exhaustion. We scissored our legs back and forth. We lunged and lifted and loped. By the time I pulled myself up the pool's steps an hour later, my legs felt like wet bags of sand. I staggered to the whirlpool hot tub and collapsed.

The next morning every muscle I possessed reminded me of the night before. Water aerobics may be low impact, but I can testify that it isn't low energy. And it's definitely not as easy as it looks, especially if you're 64 years old and NOT pregnant.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the water aerobics. If you have an enthusiastic instructor it can be a great workout.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I've added more info. to my post. High Tide follows A Graceful Death in the Lowenna series.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.