Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Mountain Is Out


          I live in the Pacific Northwest, a little south of Seattle. As you may have heard, we have rain here. A lot. During a typical winter, we may not see the sun for a couple of weeks at a time. So when the gift of a nice day comes along and we venture out into the countryside, it's a thrill to see The Mountain on the horizon. In case you haven't guessed, "The Mountain" is what people up here call Mount Rainier. 
          Today my friend Nan and I drove to Enumclaw, a little town in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains, to have lunch. Here's the view we saw along the way. Although I already have dozens of photos of The Mountain, I just had to stop and take a few more because it may be a while before I can say ...
          The Mountain is out!
~ Sandy N.

7 comments:

  1. Being an ex-Oregonian, I'm quite familiar with The Mountain! Good to see it; it has been far too long. I'm hoping to make my way out there and see those good ol' Cascades. Given, I live in the foothills of the Rockies now, but I'm fond of the Cascades, too, and I can't WAIT to see OCEAN again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Shannon. The Rockies are beautiful too! I spent many years skiing at Crested Butte, Winter Park, Steamboat, etc. Can't beat that powder. ~ Sandy N.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Beautiful. I can see how days like that help you muddle through the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous view! Sadly nothing in England can compare. We're largely a rather flat country...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to England and found beauty everywhere. Though you may not have a peak like Mount Rainier, you have a beautiful rolling countryside, charming towns, and lovely rivers. With your well-organized transportation system, we had no problem getting around without a car. It was a wonderful trip that I'd like to repeat.

      Delete
  5. I grew up in southern Oregon and now live in Texas, where it it totally flat. While the prairie and the big sky have their attraction, I'll always miss the mountains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in Texas and now live in the Pacific Northwest! Did we switch places? My co-author Sandra Allen still lives in North Texas.

      Delete

We would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.