Monday, August 19, 2013

Through a Yellow Wood (A Catskill Mountains Mystery) - Teaser Tuesday

Through a Yellow Wood (A Catskill Mounains Mystery, #2)
Well, I've done it again. I read the sequel before the first book. Lucky for me, Through a Yellow Wood stands alone. I enjoyed the characters and the story so much that I also downloaded the first Catskill Mountains Mystery - Hemlock Lake - to my Kindle. But I sure wish I'd read them in order because there are some spoilers in this one. However, they just served to make me curious about what happened before Through a Yellow Wood started.

Here's my Teaser from the opening paragraphs of Chapter One:

Seven months since he shot me and torched my family home.
It seemed like years since that night of blood and fire.

Amazon Link: Through a Yellow Wood
Number of Pages: 466
Genre: Mystery
Carolyn Rose's Website: Deadly Duo Mysteries

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Seven months after cheating death in the dark waters of Hemlock Lake, Dan Stone discovers a search dog trainer and his dogs shot down at a remote cabin in the Catskill Mountains. Only one young dog, badly wounded, survives the attack. No longer wearing a badge and intent on rebuilding the family home and making a life with Camille, Dan feels an obligation of blood to Clarence Wolven, a distant relative. He arranges the funeral and adopts the three-legged dog he names Nelson. When the sheriff's investigation stalls, Dan returns to the cabin with Jefferson Longyear. They feel the presence of Clarence's angry ghost and Nelson bolts into the forest. Trailing him deep into rugged "forever wild" land, they discover a serial killer's dump site. That grisly find is just the first. As summer wears on, Dan suspects the killer is taunting him and may even be someone he knows. Goaded by a ghost he only half believes in, Dan is drawn deeper into the investigation until his life and that of a young girl depend on a dog's loyalty and a sniper's aim.
Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn't give too much away -- you don't want to ruin the book for others)
  • Share the title and author too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers
  • Leave a comment on MizB's Teaser Tuesday post (HERE) and include your link so everyone can find your post.

40 comments:

  1. Nice to see you back! This sounds very compelling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great opening! Thanks for sharing :)

    Here's my TT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for featuring Through a Yellow Wood. I hope this fall to write a third book set at Hemlock Lake. Right now, however, I'm working on the third No Substitute cozy, relaxing my brain for what will be a darker mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading your other books, especially another one set in Hemlock Lake. Love that setting and all the quirky townspeople.

      Delete
  4. Ooh, the cover alone would make me grab it. And I love the excerpt. It really sucked me in! I often read out of order, too.

    Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - that cover is gorgeous. I've never been to the Catskill Mountains, so that setting was especially interesting to me. I love to visit new places - in reality and through books.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the compliments on the cover. My cousin, Dorion D. Rose, took that photo. And that's his handprint on the birch. He lives in the Catskills and is a wonderful photographer. (He has a site called Broken Cork Photography.) A couple of years ago I goaded him into doing book covers for me. Sea of Regret is probably my favorite.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness...I hope he was caught.

    My TT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be bold and throw in a few words here. I reviewed both these books and put them on "Steve's Bookshelf" on my website as one of my best new "stealth reads." Carolyn is a fine writer who made me self-critical about my use of POV. She also has some fine humorous books, The Big Grabowski and Sometimes a Great Commotion. She shares my concern for abused women, as evidenced in An Uncertain Refuge and its sequel. Mind you, these are not my genres, so it takes a special book to catch my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steven, for stopping by. I enjoyed Carolyn's writing too and will look for your reviews of the Catskill Mountain Mysteries. Her other books sound equally as interesting, and I'll definitely check into them.

      Delete
    2. Hi Steven and Sandy,

      I have several of Carolyn's books on my Kindle, waiting for me to read them. To date I have only managed to complete 'An Uncertain Refuge' and its sequel, 'Sea Of Regret'.

      I really like and agree with your description of the books as 'stealth reads'. The storylines are definitely more suspense than mystery. You know what is going to happen, but it is the not knowing how, when, or where, that's the problem.

      Carolyn can build the tension beautifully and keep you turning the pages, just as fast as you can!

      Yvonne

      Delete
  7. Yep, I imagine time would seem relative considering that type of traumatic event. Great teaser! Thanks for sharing & stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steven, thanks for the plugs for other books. The Big Grabowski and Sometimes a Great Commotion are now out of print, but in the process of being revised and re-released under new titles. In fact, I just put Death at Devil's Harbor (formerly Grabowski) up as an e-book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great teaser! It sounds really mysterious. Thanks for stopping by:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great teaser, and like laurel-Rain, I love the cover. Now you have me curious about both books. Like Mount TBR isn't big enough...LOL. My teaser: City of Bones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mount TBR - funny! I have one too and it's not getting any smaller.
      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. Mysterious teaser! The cover looks wonderful too, reminds me about how autumn is just around the corner now ;)

    My teasers for this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeek. I wish you hadn't said "autumn". All too soon the rains will begin in Washington State where I live now and the days of sun-warmed tomatoes off the vine and blackberries picked by the side of the road will be over.

      Delete
  12. Nice teaser...this sounds like a great series! Enjoy, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great teaser. Glad to know other read out of order. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will make sure I do not make your mistake as I don't like anything spoiling my story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading the books out of order didn't spoil the story, but I would have understood more if I'd read HEMLOCK LAKE first! I just wasn't paying attention or I would have read them in order.

      Delete
  15. Gotta love it when a book starts with sentences like this. Great teaser. Thanks for stopping by Book Sojourner!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great Teaser!! And thanks for stopping by my blog!

    Kathy @ My Nook, Books & More

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great teaser, definitely makes me curious. Thanks for stopping by earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow...that is quite an opening! Great teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Catskills intrigue me because I met my husband there and we visited last weekend. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you'd surely enjoy both Catskill Mountains mysteries!

      Delete
  20. Great opening! I've done the same thing myself. I mean, read the sequel before the first book!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are not the only one to read books out of order.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm now going back to the beginning on Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole mysteries. They're terrific. And fortunately, being a Virgo, I often read endings first.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, sounds intense. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always end up reading book 2 not realizing it until it's too late! LOL! This is interesting thanks for stopping by the blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like I'm not the only one. That makes me feel better for some reason.

      Delete
    2. Hootie and Sandy - be proud of breaking loose and reading "out of order."

      Delete
  25. Thanks for the visit and the link :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Shooting someone and burning their house is such a horrible thing to do! But great teaser! thanks for visitig my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Everyone - just got in from a long day out, so I'm late in thanking Sandy for teasing you all with Smoke, Wings and Stone. It was so much fun to write! There's a giveaway going on right now for the Tackle Your TBR Read-a-thon if you want to try to win a free copy!
    http://smokewingsandstone.wordpress.com
    Thanks again Sandy!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.